Sunday, March 10, 2013

Time Pamphlet

timeali

It was more than 40 years ago.  I was in college.  It was lonely and boring.  My mother bought me subscriptions to Time and Newsweek magazines to keep me entertained and out of trouble.  A weekly visit from Time and Newsweek were cause for celebration.

When I graduated from college I let my subscriptions expire.  I haven't seen a copy of either magazine in a very long time.  Newsweek stopped publishing its print version and Time was nothing more than a distant memory.

My daughter gave me a magazine subscription for Christmas.  It was one of the voucher deals which allow you to choose from 20 or so different magazines.  I chose Time magazine as my belated Christmas gift.

My first edition of Time in more than 40 years arrived a few weeks ago.  The cover said it was a special edition.  I assumed the "special" part meant it was only 56 pages long.  Imagine my suprise when the next week's edition was also only 56 or so pages. And then the next, and then the next, and every other edition.

I seem to remember Time being more than twice the size it is now.  I'm pretty sure there is no less news now than there was in 1970.  Time was a real magazine.  It kept a college student informed and entertained.  Time magazine is now a lot like the Reidsville Review.

 A better name might be Time Pamphlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment