Sunday, March 24, 2013

Streak-o-lean on the buffet marks town's progress

I've been out of town for a few days.  Did I miss anything?  Kelly back in the saddle?  Wink standing tall again?

I went to Smithfield, NC to conduct some family business and visit my older brother.  We've got a cousin and a couple of old biddies who have robbed us of our rightful inheritance.  The whole matter ended in the NC Court of Appeals after 3-1/2 years of legal rasslin'.  To make a long story short, my brother and I got a few thousand dollars to go away and leave my cousin and her sidekicks alone with their new money.  The cousin and her sidelicks got several hundreds of thousands of dollars.  I got enough to buy a new lawn mower.  My brother bought a camera. Oh well, you win a few and you lose a lot.

I did manage to get my truck's broken bumper repaired by a Puerto Rican.  It cost me $150 for parts and labor and took about an hour.  I got three quotes from Reidsville repair shops for $1100 each with a five day estimate for the repair time.

Smithfield is located in a formerly poor county (Johnston) next to a large upscale county (Wake), kinda like Rockingham and Guilford.  Over the years Smithfield has grown and prospered - roads, stores, restaurants, and assorted businesses.  It's been several years since I visited my brother.  It was amazing to see a new world when I returned.

Smithfield's Golden Corral is twice the size of Reidsville.  Rows and rows of food piled high.  Fried clams, stuffed shrimp, an endless variety of about everything.  The buffet even had streak-o-lean.  Don't know what streak-o-lean is?  Don't feel bad, I didn't know either.  Streak-o-lean is Johnston County- speak for fried fatback.  Yes, Smithfield's Golden Corral has fried fatback. The food all tasted as bad as Reidsville's Golden Corral, but there was so much more of it.  It was amazing.

Smithfield's Hibachi Grill was three times the size of Reidsville's Super Super Buffet.  Hibachi Grill was packed with people and its buffet was overflowing with variety.  It was all delicious.  I recommend you try Lei Fun if you ever spy it anywhere.  Lei Fun is a tasty little noodle cooked with some egg and whatever.  Get a bowlful if its available.

We ate at a nice Italian pizza place.  It was called Roma Pizza.  The pizza was excellent.  Best crust I've ever had.  It was owned and operated by Mexicans.

It's kinda depressing to come back to Reidsville after seeing Smithfield.  Smithfield has moved forward while Reidsville continues to shrink, almost ready to blow away in the wind.

To the reader who mentioned this site's pictures were not viewable, all I can say is sorry. I have no idea what the problem might be.   I've read this site with multiple computers in multiple locations using different browsers and operating systems...the pictures were always visible.  Nevertheless, thanks for mentioning the problem.  I'll keep an eye on it.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment