Monday, May 20, 2013

Turwa Comes Our Way Again

Click photo to enlarge

turtlegiant

It's been quite a few years since I've seen one of these.  The last time was more 50 years ago when I helped dig a garbage pit for my Dad.  It was a giant hole, about 10'X10' and five feet deep.  There wasn't any garbage in it yet, just water and mud at the bottom.

The turwa, as my very young daughter  used to call them, was found in the mud one morning.  Apparently he stumbled into the hole overnight.  He was very irascible, an ill temper.  I suppose we put on gloves and carried him to a more suitable location.

The turwa pictured here was found in the road in front of my house.  I assume it is a giant snapping turtle.  Again he was in a foul mood.  Cars were stopping and people were staring.  I moved him out of the road and left him to sulk in a ditch.

I'm sure he will be OK, but I worry about my cats if they should find him.  He/she is strong and could easily outmatch a cat if he latches on.

No comments:

Post a Comment